Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Blue Peeps?!?!

The weather has been so gorgeous here. Puts me in a good mood and makes all the job searching seem really unimportant for the time being. Yesterday as I was out on the patio, enjoying the sunshine, something shiny caught my (as shiny objects often do). It was a blue peep, sugar glistening in the sun (yes, those disgusting little marshmallow chicks you get for Easter). My first thought was "Wow, I didn't know they made blue peeps." My second thought was "Why in hell is there a blue peep on my patio?" Upon further inspection of the surrounding area, I found an additional 8 peeps lounging around on my patio, in the yard, and next to the back door. Where did they come from? I have no idea. I'm inclined to think that our neighbors found it easier to throw their uneaten peeps into our backyard rather than the trash. I have a suspicion that they called the cops on one of our previous parties so why not throw their trash in our yard too?

In other news, one of my best friends, Kaye, is leaving to study abroad in Jordan for the summer. I know she reads this so Kaye, darling, I love you and I wish you the absolute most amazing time while you're there. I miss you so much already!

Meanwhile Camilo has also abandoned me for two weeks for a photovoltaics workshop in Colorado and I'm stuck here in Houghton alone, bored out of my mind, with no one to play with. Thankfully I still have work to keep me somewhat occupied, and the Canterbury House (which I'll actually be getting paid for now!). Today I met with three of my students: Neila from Italy, Sahar from Iran, and Lina from Colombia. They're all really sweet girls and speak English pretty well already so it's more fun than work to help them out with conversation skills. Tomorrow I'll be meeting with a new student, Dimh(?), from Ukraine and I'm a bit worried about that. His English is probably intermediate which is fine but I think he actually has some mental issues. I'm not sure what's wrong with him exactly but he picked me as his coach because I'm a "pretty girl." Yes, a little creepy. I've never dealt with anyone like this before so we'll see how it goes.

No comments: