Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Joys of Job Searching

Alright, I've decided to start blogging again. I'm not doing anything particularly exciting at this point in my life but, I don't know, it's something to do. And what better place to voice my complaints about the world than to random people on the internet?

Anyway, at this point in my life I'm a college graduate with a BA in Communication and Culture Studies. What does that get me? Apparently a minimum wage job at the front desk of the Ramada. Not quite what I had envisioned for my future. However, living in Michigan (and Houghton, MI at that) I suppose I'm lucky to even have a job. Hopefully mine and my boyfriend's move to Dayton, Ohio this summer will bring me some new opportunities. What I would really love is to find a job at a university or somewhere, working with international and/or study abroad students. I found some jobs about a month ago that would have been great but a couple of weeks later when I went to apply for them, they were already gone. Needless to say I was sorely disappointed.

Since then I've been sifting through the endless search results of what comes up when I type in "international programs." It's kind of ridiculous how many companies unnecessarily add the word international to their name. Out of those results, it's extremely rare that I actually find what I'm looking for. Yesterday I finally found the type of job I want, only to discover that it was at an evangelical community college (who knew those even existed?), and all of their staff had to be "born again Christians." Furthermore, in addition to the regular application and resume, you also had to submit a letter of reference from a pastor, and a copy of the doctrine of the church you currently attend. I briefly thought about applying anyway and trying to explain that I really was a good person, despite my absence of faith, but then I realized that I don't really want to work in a place where I would most likely be forced to attend church, and where my colleagues would alternate between trying to "save" me and telling me that I'm going straight to hell. No thanks.

Today I happened across a position called Administrative Assistant/Receptionist. I could totally do that! In fact, I think I'm overly qualified to do such work. As I read through the requirements I found "Must have strong work ethic, sense of urgency and a high energy level." This I read as I sat at work, head resting sideways on top of my desk, looking like I was either mostly dead or really hung over (but I was mostly just really tired and starving). Kind of made me smile anyway.

No comments: