Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Untitled.

July 20 2009

Monday we had our very last lecture of the program. Thankfully, it was one of the best. The professor was a funny little man who was an economist. He talked about whether or not Estonia is doing well or not economically. When it comes down to it, how a country is doing can really only be measured in comparison with how well other countries are doing, especially your neighbors. So Estonia is doing quite well in many things and they are pretty much better in everything compared with their southern neighbors of Latvia and Lithuania. It is pretty impressive how quickly Estonia took off after the collapse of the Soviet Union. However, it seems that now, through this global recession, they’re sort of coming down from their high of having grown so much in so little time and they are now finally realizing some of the mistakes they have made, and how to manage themselves a little better in the future in order to be prepared for another recession.

For dinner, we finally got to go to a Russian restaurant which I’ve been wanting to do this whole time, although apparently a lot of the food we’ve had on this trip is Russian, like the Seljanka soup and pelmeenid (little meat filled dumplings…mmm). Anyway, I ordered a sort of pot roast with bread cooked over the top and it was probably the most deliciously fattening thing I’ve ever eaten. I’ve never had gravy so thick, so greasy, and so salty. I could feel all of my arteries instantaneously clogging but it was one of the better things I’ve eaten here.

But yeah, that’s pretty much my day. Things are really winding down here as we come to the end of our trip. I don’t feel like doing much of anything at this point except sleeping and eating. I know, I’m worthless J

No comments: